You may have entered your relationship with your former spouse or significant other with the best of intentions. You had no idea this person would turn out to be a toxic individual who would put your safety and happiness at risk.

However, when you realize you are in an abusive relationship, you may reach a point where you decide to break up with and be free from this person. By filing for a PFA, temporary, or permanent protective order fairfax clients like you can get the legal barrier you need to separate yourself from a toxic and potentially dangerous situation.


Legal Help Filing a PFA

When you want to escape an abusive relationship, you may need to file a type of restraining order known as a Protection From Abuse order or PFA. A PFA is filed with the courts and remains in effect for a set period of time. In some instances, it can be in effect for as long as 90 to 120 days and even longer in some cases.

However, filing a PFA with court requires you follow a specific legal process and provide documentation to prove to the judge you need this type of protection. Without proof of your significant other or spouse’s abuse, the judge does not have to grant you the order.

Rather than go in front of the judge alone and trying to convince him or her that you are being abused, you can rely on a lawyer to make this argument for you. Your lawyer can provide documentation ranging from medical records detailing treatment for cuts, bruises, broken bones, and other injuries. It may also include photographs of injuries on your body that were inflicted by your spouse or partner.

Having a lawyer by your side can also give you the confidence to see this legal action through to the end. Your lawyer will make sure you are safe and not victimized further by this individual. You can look forward to rebuilding a new life by using the legal avenues available to you.